UoN gives rent refund to students unable to return to campus

Students eligible to return will still be liable for their accommodation fees

The University of Nottingham have responded to issues raised about accommodation fees, announcing that students who are unable to return to campus this term will not be required to pay rent.

This follows a rent strike action, planned by Nottingham students, who were preparing to withhold over £2 million in rent money, after 950 people had joined the campaign.

The university have said that they will be offering support packages for students in University-owned or leased accommodation. They’ve also announced that students who are studying on programmes that does not allow them to return to campus, will not be required to pay fees from the start of term, up to and including the date they start to occupy their room.

However, students who have been outlined by the Government to be eligible to return to campus for in-person teaching will still be liable for their full accommodation fees.

A University of Nottingham spokesperson said: “We appreciate that the sudden news of the latest lockdown has caused considerable anxiety for everyone. Since Monday, when the Government announced further changes to the return of students to campus, staff across the University have been working hard to to support our students on the issue of accommodation fees.

“We will be offering a support package for students in University-owned or leased and managed accommodation which aligns accommodation charges to the Government’s current advice on which courses currently deliver in-person teaching.

“Students who are not studying on a programme that currently allows them to return for in-person teaching and are not using their room will not be required to pay accommodation fees from the start of term – 10 January – up to and including the date they start to occupy their room or the projected re-start of in-person teaching on 13 February, whichever is earlier.

“Students studying on courses that have been advised by government to return for in-person teaching and those that return to their accommodation for any reason before 14 February will be liable for their full accommodation fees.

“This applies to students with accommodation contracts for University Halls, Dagfa, Varsity, and UPP (Broadgate Park, Albion House & Cloister House), but we are liaising with private and third-party accommodation providers to see if they are able to support students in a similar manner.”

Full details of the accommodation changes can be found here.