UoN has won four BUCS 2020 awards

More than any other university this year

The University of Nottingham has won four national British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) awards this year, after it was shortlisted for seven awards back in November.

This comes just days after UoN was named the top university in the UK for student sport by The College and University Business Officers (CUBO).

The BUCS awards, which began with a message from HRH The Princess Royal, were presented virtually on 8 December by a range of influential people, including Dame Katherine Grainger and Lizzie Simmonds.

Despite securing one less award than the previous year, the results mean that UoN Sport has won more BUCS awards this year than any other university. This is unsurprising as UoN currently holds the title of Sports University of the Year and has consistently ranked within the top ten of the BUCS league table.

University of Nottingham Sport congratulated its winners on Twitter.

Team of the Year was the first BUCS 2020 award to be announced, and it was won by UoN’s Track Cycling Team. This follows a very successful performance at the BUCS Track Cycling Championships, where UoN won ten medals, including six gold and four silver. The men’s team gained the overall title, while the women’s placed second, making this the first time in the team’s history that both teams achieved a medal.

The Digital Engagement award was also secured by UoN after the innovative Empower campaign, which is partnered with Shreddy, gained significant traction online as it educated female students on the benefits of exercise.

UoN’s third award was for Student Volunteer of the Year, which was won by Pete Boyes, who has been president of the rowing club for five years and substantially increased club participation.

Finally, UoN’s Esme Burge picked up Sportswoman of The Year, after winning the same title at UoN’s own 2020 awards. Esme not only plays in green and gold, but she is also a GB hockey senior international and achieved her first senior cap last year. She was also selected for the Tokyo Olympics GB Squad.

UoN’s Student’s Union Sports Officer, Josie Jessop, congratulated all of the University’s winners on Twitter.