Notts bar applies to become a church in order to dodge tier three restrictions

‘For xmas, could we please have a government who aren’t determined to completely fuck the hospitality industry at every opportunity. Thanks, The Rabbits’

Notts tequila bar, 400 Rabbits, has registered to become a church in order to avoid the tier three Coronavirus restrictions.

Formerly known as ‘400 Rabbits Tequila and Mezcal Cocktail Bar’, the business has now been registered as ‘The Church of the Four Hundred Rabbits’ by its 34-year-old owner, James Aspell.

He said although this started off as a joke, he thought it was necessary to highlight the “unfair” Government rules that have had a significant affect on the hospitality industry.

As of Wednesday, when the country comes out of a four week lockdown, bars in tier three areas can only offer takeaway and delivery.

Places of worship are allowed to welcome people from the same household or support bubble regardless of the tier.

The aim of the ‘church’ has been stated on the bar’s website.

“Join us as we begin our journey to answer absolutely none of life’s big questions.”

“Our aim is simple, to offer a place of worship to our deity the mezcal bunny. A place where you can drink mezcal without having to order a carvery dinner alongside it, a place where you aren’t kicked out into the cold heartless night at 10pm, a place where you can get away from the busy gyms, supermarkets, shops, beauty salons, massage parlours, cinemas, theatres, sports venues, xmas markets, schools, universities, betting shops and literally everywhere else that will be allowed to remain open while pubs and bars will remain shut.”

Closing with a term coined by Aspell, “Amezcal!”

The news of this has gone global as Aspell said on Twitter: “We’ve had an absolutely overwhelming response to the church with hundreds of sign ups to the congregation from all over the world, from Kazakhstan to New Zealand, Russia and the USA and of course right here at home.”

He has also created a sign up page in which you can register as a ‘Bunny Believer’ or become ordained as a ‘Reverend of the Righteous Rabbits’.