Urgent plea from NHS for Notts students to donate blood ahead of the ‘critical winter period’

‘If you are fit and healthy please make an appointment to donate’

The NHS has made an urgent plea to all residents of Nottingham, including students, to donate blood ahead of what is expected to be a critical winter period.

With what is expected to be a challenging winter period, the NHS is making a call out to all of those that are able to make an appointment to donate blood. Due to the pandemic, fewer people than ever have signed up to donate blood this year leaving Nottingham Donor Centre with only one third of its December appointments filled.

Strong stock levels are crucial this year in particular to help the NHS get through not only seasonal pressures but a second wave of COVID-19.

Despite Nottingham going into a Tier 3 lockdown, the NHS has reiterated that giving blood is classed as ‘essential travel’ and therefore falls well within the Tier 3 rules and regulations.

Peter Baughan, Head of Blood Donation for the North at NHS Blood and Transplant said: “We urgently need our donors to make and keep an appointment to give blood at Nottingham Donor Centre.

“Currently blood stocks are good. But as we enter what could be a very challenging winter period we need our loyal donors more than ever to help us to keep hospitals supplied with lifesaving blood.

“Nottingham Donor Centre is open as usual with extra safety measures in place. If you are fit and healthy please make an appointment to donate. If you need to cancel please let us know as soon as possible.”

To to make an appointment either call 0300 123 23 23 or book one online here.

• Government announces Nottingham will go into a Tier 3 lockdown

• Nottingham to receive COVID-19 vaccine by the 9th of December

Here’s how to get a Covid test from UoN before travelling home for the holidays