Tier three rules: Shops can’t sell alcohol after 9PM in Notts

The restrictions will begin on Friday

Alcohol can no longer be sold after nine PM at shops under the recently-announced tier three restrictions in Nottinghamshire.

Among other new specific rules for the county, gyms and leisure centres are allowed to stay open – while nail salons and tattoo parlors must close.

The full list of tier three restrictions was released this afternoon by the Department For Health and Social Care – after lengthly negotiations with Nottinghamshire’s councils – and will take effect on Friday at one minute past midnight.

From Friday, the sale of alcohol for consumption off-premises will be prohibited after nine PM. This limitation will primarily affect shops such as supermarkets and off-licenses, although, presumably, will also apply to take-aways and deliveries.

Restaurants, pubs and bars which serve alcohol will still be able to do so after nine PM, however, they must continue to close at 10PM and customers must have a meal in order to be allowed to purchase alcohol.

A ban on alcohol sales such as this has not previously been seen in England under Covid-19 restrictions, setting up Nottinghamshire to be the first to encounter a rule of this kind.

The new rules state that gyms and leisure centres can stay open – although indoor group classes are highly unadvised. Which may come as a relief to many Notts students. It is also understood that university sport can continue as it has been doing so in tier two.

But nail salons, tattoo parlors and saunas are among the services that must close.

This developments comes after it was revealed that Nottingham’s entry to tier three would be delayed by 24 hours, from Thursday to Friday, following a change of plan from government ministers.

For the full list of new rules which will come into effect on Friday, click here.

Image credit: Williamsangelack, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons