Here’s what the rules will be for returning to UoN this year

Face masks will be compulsory in all seminars and lectures

With term one only a couple of weeks away, the University of Nottingham has been planning ahead on how to safely operate campus, despite the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.

With much uncertainty surrounding specific timetables and course regulations, there are certain rules that have been created for students to adhere to while on campus, to ensure maximum safety.

Our uni experience is set to look very different, and here’s how:

Face masks will be compulsory in all campus buildings

According to the University, face coverings will be compulsory inside all buildings on campus, including in lecture theatres, laboratories, corridors, teaching rooms and communal areas of halls of residence. Exceptions may apply, such as to those with personal health requirements, including hidden conditions such as anxiety.

In an email sent out from the University, students were informed: “You will need to wear face coverings in shops, on public transport and when in buildings on campus, so make sure you bring one with you.”

This comes in contrast to the University of Exeter, who are providing their students with a welcome pack that includes three re-usable face masks and a digital thermometer.

Bristol, on the other hand, are encouraging face masks as a ‘sign of respect’ rather than a compulsory measure.

UoN also issued the following statement: “In line with the regulations for wearing face coverings in other public settings including supermarkets, we are expecting staff, students and visitors will want to use their own. However, the University will provide face coverings at key points for those who don’t have one.”

Moving around campus in one way systems

Face masks, one way-systems and social distancing are just some of the new requirements when moving throughout campus.

According to the University, certain buildings will require you to sign in out after entering or leaving, to ensure social distancing can be maintained. Sanitisation stations will also be positioned throughout campus and different areas.

Libraries have a reduced capacity

UoN’s eight libraries are all expected to be open for selected services by the end of September, however, dates and services may change depending on essential Health and Safety checks.

The capacity of library buildings has been lowered to support social distancing measures. Staff will be managing visitor numbers at the entrance for both long stay visits (study space) and short stay visits of up to 30 minutes (printing, browsing, collecting books). Students may be asked to wait if the library is full.

Instead, study spaces are currently available at Djanogly LRC on a first come, first served basis but UoN are working on putting an online booking system in place for study space in the libraries soon.

There are also a range of safety measures in place, including hand sanitiser stations, additional signage, one-way systems and enhanced cleaning.

Face coverings will be required when inside the library.

House parties/ Large gatherings are not allowed

In line with the current COVID-19 rules, people of no more than 6 are allowed to meet indoors or outdoors.

The University issued the following statement regarding students following these rules while in Notts:

“Lenton, Dunkirk, Radford, Beeston and Kegworth are all popular areas for students to live but these are mixed communities with a significant number of long-term residents.

“The University will take reports of any house parties very seriously. We do not recommend holding, hosting or attending house parties as they are likely to negatively impact neighbours and the wider community.”

They added, “Any reports that the University receives about off-campus antisocial behaviour or breaking of COVID-19 regulations will be investigated. Students found breaking the misconduct guidelines as outlined in the Code of Discipline for Students may be subject to fines up to £1,500, suspension or exclusion.”

This comes after a student was fined £10k by Nottinghamshire Police for hosting a house party with over 50 people in Lenton.

Portland Building isn’t completely open yet

Portland Building will be open for students and a number of the catering outlets will be operating.

While Starbucks is already up and running, it has not been confirmed when the food hall and our beloved Man’s Gourmet Chinese will re-open.

More details can be found here.

The Student Service Centre will be open for pre-booked appointments only. The Student Services team are putting a number of measures in place to make sure students and staff are well supported during the busy Welcome period.
Want to write for us? We’re looking for new writers for the upcoming term – no experience needed. Message us on Facebook to get involved.