A list of Anti-Racist resources you can read on NUSearch right now

Read for change

A way that you can help the BLM movement and other ethnic minorities is to educate yourself in order to facilitate an active change in your own attitude and then, in turn, that of society’s. To do this, you can read anti-racist works.

Reading about anti-racism is potentially going to be uncomfortable but is extremely important, especially for those who are typically uninformed, uneasy or defensive about race. Furthermore, some of these works discuss how those who consider themselves to be anti-racist can still be complicit. In other words, everyone has a lot of learning to do. And here’s a list to get you started:

Capitalism and Slavery, 1944

Discussion about Britain’s history and involvement in the slave trade is growing. Petitions lobbying the government to include teaching of Britain’s colonial past, racism and ethics in relation to racism in the compulsory national curriculum is growing; the petitions can be found here, here, and here. But to get educated yourself, outside the British national schooling system, one of the books you can read is Capitalism and Slavery.

This work by Eric Williams, historian and first Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, links the exploitation seen in the enslavement of millions of people in Africa with the industrial revolution and wealth of western countries, particularly Britain. Thus, it points out a clear issue that Britain likes to overlook: the history and lasting effects of slavery are not isolated to America.

Find Capitalism and Slavery on NUSearch here.

Yearning, 1990

Yearning is a collection of essays from American author and social activist bell hooks. The pieces discuss ethnicity and sexuality as well as gender and address how racism and inequality is an issue which concerns everyone.

The book crosses multiple disciplinary boundaries. It discusses topics such as feminism, art and film, from highlighting negative/stereotypical tropes in media to institutional power, to demonstrate the issues it raises.

Find Yearning on NUSearch here.

White Self-Criticality beyond Anti-racism: How Does It Feel to Be a White Problem?, 2015

Heavily centered around philosophy, this book is broken into multiple chapters, each written by a different author and edited by George Yancy. As made clear by the title, the book discusses the topic of racism primarily from the perspective of a white person and it challenges the ‘colour-blind’ narrative.

Some of the chapters also consider the ways in which white people can be complicit in propagating racism on a day-to-day basis and think through the thought processes/reactions that they often have to the discovery of their own privileges, which can lead to the re-enforcement of racism if not handled correctly.

Meanwhile, for those who seek content that is less philosophical and more introductory to anti-racism, specifically in relation to whiteness, read this online resource: Anti Racism for Beginners.

Find White Self-Criticality beyond Anti-racism on NUSearch here.

Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor, 2020

This recently traditionally published book by Layla F Saad, who started the Instagram trend #MeAndWhiteSupremacy, is available on NUSearch. It’s description from GoodReads describes it best:

Me and White Supremacy teaches readers how to dismantle the privilege within themselves so that they can stop (often unconsciously) inflicting damage on people of colour, and in turn, help other white people do better, too.”

Find Me and White Supremacy on NUSearch here.

View this post on Instagram

I’ve had this series idea in my mind for quite a while now…so here it is! As a Korean-American, I can’t speak to the unique experiences of other marginalized groups in the US, but as a fellow minority I empathize with your hardships, acknowledge your struggles, and will continue to amplify the voices of all POC 💕 UPDATE: turning off comments as the amount of conversation here is blowing up my alerts and the amount of mental effort required to keep up with everything has been very straining, as well as the conversation here is quickly turning aggressive and derisive for everyone. Please DM me if you have specific concerns/questions about the series(but please do a google search first)! Please see my repost rules highlight before sharing ✌️ 〰️ #blackhistorymonth #whiteprivilege #privilege #checkyourprivilege #racialequality #illo #illustration #digitalillustration #procreate #illustrator #illustratorsoninstagram #draweveryday #sketchbook #digitalart #drawingoftheday #ladieswhodraw #womenwhodraw #pdxillustrators #illustratorsoninstagram #womensupportingwomen #feminist #designer #womanownedbusiness #portlandartist #womenofillustration #femaleillustrator #femaleartist #womanartist #femaleartists #womenartists

A post shared by courtney (courn) ahn (@courtneyahndesign) on

What is Black British Feminism?, 2000

Understanding issues within a British context is vital in tackling racism in the UK. UoN’s Chancellor, Baroness Young of Hornsey OBE, Lola Young compares in her work how Britain is behind the US in terms such as recognising and boosting the voices of black women—as well as how our country does not champion their work, particularly in fields like publishing and filmmaking.

Young also considers how exclusivist black feminism will be necessary unless white feminists also undertake the debate of “painful and troubling ideas”, through means such as confronting racism and incorporating black women’s experiences into feminism.

Find What is Black British Feminism? on NUSearch here.

Frantz Fanon, His Life, His Struggle, His Work, 2001

If you prefer something more visual, there is a documentary (in French, with English subtitles) on NUSearch about Frantz Fanon. It is a brief introduction into the short life and truth of the political thinker, whose works have inspired many liberation movements seeking freedom.

Find Frantz Fanon, His Life, His Struggle, His Work on NUSearch here.

Outside of NUSearch, there are many more resources. This link provides a host of educational BLM resources. There are also many Ted Talks on Youtube; a few we’ve watched recently include Mena Fombo’s “No. You Cannot Touch My Hair”, “How to deconstruct racism, one headline at a time” by Baratunde Thurston, and  “Let’s get to the root of racial injustice” by Megan Ming Francis.