What will Notts look like post-Covid? We spoke to local businesses so you don’t have to

“It’s been utterly devastating to our business”

Businesses across Nottingham are struggling as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, with its effects being described as “utterly devastating” by Carpe Noctum, the company behind Crisis.

Many have been forced to temporarily close their doors during the country’s lockdown—and some may never open their doors again.

We spoke to the businesses in Notts that you know and love and here’s what we found out:

Crisis: “It’s been utterly devastating.”

Image may contain: Housing, Shop, Town, City, Street, Road, Urban, Building

Rock City, the venue where Crisis is held.

“It’s been utterly devastating to our business… But we’ll be ok.”

“I have been running events for 15 years and have never had to handle a shock to the system as large as this.”

“Fortunately, schemes like furlough and bounce back loans have been effective in keeping us afloat and we are greatly relieved to hear UoN will be returning as per normal on 21st September (even if it’s going to be different for a while longer yet).”

“We were gutted that we had to cancel our remaining events this term, but this was completely necessary and right for the government to enforce closures. We have fully refunded any tickets for anything we presold. During lockdown, we (or rather I at the moment) have been focusing on an in-venue ordering app that we had started planning out back in November.”

Image via Carpe Noctum/Crisis

DoughNotts: “We’ve seen a significant drop in revenue.”

“Financially we’ve seen a significant drop in revenue, not only from the shops but from our events, event/wedding orders and the major events that we had planned that have been cancelled.”

“Because we can’t open the stores or bring all 40 staff back straight away, we reopened from our HQ on the 6th May with 3 staff members offering Deliveroo and growing to 5 staff members to meet demand and to include a limited click and collect option with social distancing measures in place.”

“Since opening we’ve expanded our wholesale list so we can reach as many people as possible and as this has all begun growing it’s given us the financial stability to start planning which staff to bring back first and what the future will be like if and when we can open the shops.”

200 Degrees Coffee: “Fingers crossed.”

“Fingers crossed we will be back up and running soon.”

They have since announced that they will re-open for takeout only on June 24th.

Another? Wine Bar: “After hardship comes ease.”

“Obviously there has been a huge economic/financial effect on the business and the country as a whole.”

“Personally, I feel like we have been relatively lucky.”

“Having said that for Another? wine bar this was our 3 year in business and a chance to make a very healthy return on this year so that’s been a little disheartening but this business is in a great position and will certainly reopen following all government guidelines.”

“After hardship comes ease, if all small independents can survive lockdown and reopen I’m positive we can all flourish when our customers can return safely.”

Businesses are struggling across the country and Nottingham is no exception. The city has had its own losses, including the closure of Propaganda, Notts’ last gay club, after 11 years.