How to stay safe at the BLM protest in Notts tomorrow

Social distancing is still important

On Sunday the 7th of June, a peaceful protest will be happening in Nottingham, in order to support the BLM movement.

With thousands expected to gather at Forest Recreational Ground, it is important to remember to stay safe in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, and know how.

Maintain social distancing

Organisers of the protest have emphasised that it will be a peaceful protest, as opposed to a march. Although the protest was due to happen in Market Square in town, by moving the protest to a larger area organisers hope that people will be able to be more spread out.

It is thus important to try at stay two metres away from others at all times, where possible.

Dress appropriately

Although social distancing might be challenging if thousands are expected to gather, clothing items such as face masks and gloves can be taken as a precaution. It puts people less at risk for both the spread and contraction of the virus.

Bring hand sanitiser and use it often

Hygiene is extremely important, so remember to use antibacterial products regularly, and be cautious of touching things where other’s might have also touched.

Do not go to a protest if you have coronavirus symptoms

This is a given. Always follow the Government guidelines to protect yourself and the people around you.

Credit: SWNS

However, if you don’t feel safe protesting, or are unable to physically be present, know what else you can do to help.

Petitions you can sign

Disclaimer: if you donate after signing a Change.org petition, the money doesn’t go to the cause itself, but to the website.

#wecantBREATHE 

The Minneapolis Police Officers to be charged for murder after killing innocent black man 

Teach British children about the realities of British Imperialism and Colonialism 

The UK government must condemn Trump’s response to George Floyd’s murder #speakupBoris 

Donate

Show Racism the Red Card

Justice for Breonna Taylor

Black Lives Matter

Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust 

If you can’t afford to donate

All of the money made from advertising revenue will be donated to causes such as the ones mentioned above. All you have to do is disable ad-blockers, leave  the adverts running and watch the video.

#BlackLivesMatter reading list

Books:

Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People about Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch

The Good Immigrant ed. Nikesh Shukla

Online resources:

10 Steps To Non-Optical Allyship

Brilliant black-owned businesses to buy in the UK

UK-based charities, organisations and platforms whose work aims to eradicate racial injustice

Listen

A Conversation With Black Women on Race by The New York Times 

Identity Politics 

Ted Talk 

All My Relations 

These are just a few small steps that you can take right now to help the fight for justice.

Featured image via SWNS.