Breaking: UoN announce all campuses will be open in September

They are beginning the academic year as planned

This morning, the University of Nottingham Vice-Chancellor informed students all campuses will be open as planned on Monday 21st September 2020.

In an email sent from VC Shearer West, the university reassured that although some lectures may be provided online, the quality of teaching will not be impacted and that Nottingham will provide an “outstanding education and student experience”.

This update follows the similar plans of Nottingham Trent to open in September. Other unis, such as Cambridge and Manchester, are also planning to begin the academic year with online teaching.

The university acknowledged that life might feel “very different for a while”, however are determined to ensure the experience will still be “safe, enriching and exciting”.

Seminars, laboratory classes and tutorials will continue to be taught in person, “while following any national safety guidelines in place at the time”.

Some of the “larger-scale lectures” however, may be delivered “differently”. For example, through “guided learning, deploying educational technologies or in interactive sessions with lecturers”.

Despite this however, the university assured of the “highest quality teaching”.

They continued, “to reassure you and protect your health, social distancing measures will be in place across our buildings, accommodation and public spaces alongside the dedicated entrances, one-way systems and distance markers that have become a familiar feature in other areas of national life.

“Uniquely for a UK university, we have already reopened and welcomed more than 5,000 students back to our campus in Ningbo, China and we are using that experience to inform how we approach things in the UK.”

The university have even considered the impact this may have on the social lives of students and are working with the Students’ Union to make sure that as many opportunities are made available to students as possible.