After 11 years in Notts, Propaganda has been forced to close its doors for good

Gone but not forgotten!

Nottingham’s only LBGT+ club is to permanently close as they find themselves with “no other option”.

Propaganda was forced to lock up on March 20th as the country’s lockdown restrictions came into action, but they never expected to throw away the key.

As announced in a heartbreaking post on Facebook, the club’s management stated that they were unable to renew their lease due to the “current economic conditions”.

With a very heavy heart…Team Propaganda xxx

Posted by Propaganda Nottingham on Saturday, 16 May 2020

Team Propaganda thanked their “incredible staff” for their “astonishing work, day-in and day-out”.

Hayden Bradley, who worked at the club in 2018, said: “I have some amazing memories there. It’ll always have a special place in my heart so for that I’d like to thank Propaganda and the managers, Sam and Luke.”

The closure of Propaganda will leave a huge hole in Nottingham’s LGBT+ scene.

A student in Notts and member of the LGBT+ community said: “There’s something nice about knowing that the club exists primarily for you and your community. In a world that has very real homophobia, flirting with someone of the same sex (if you don’t know their sexuality) can be daunting and scary. It is a little easier in a gay club, for obvious reasons.”

This is a big blow for a city already lacking in venues specifically for this community.

Izzy Kinnaird, told us: “Notts should definitely have a space like this to add to the diverse and progressive atmosphere. Without this, members of the LGBT+ community may feel as if part of their identity cannot be fully expressed and celebrated, as it should be.”

The COVID-19 lockdown is having a detrimental effect on small businesses such as this up and down the country. This isn’t the first loss and unfortunately it likely won’t be the last.

Nottingham students say Propaganda will be missed.