Over 4800 sign UoN students petition demanding ‘no detriment’ assessment policy amid COVID-19 outbreak

If adopted, this would ensure that students final academic year average is the same as, or higher than, the average grade attained up until the University closed

Students at the University of Nottingham have reached over 4800 signatures for a petition in favour of a ‘no-detriment’ policy for upcoming assessments due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

In the wake of the pandemic many students are, understandably, extremely concerned as to how the coronavirus will impact their University degree.

A no detriment policy would ensure that students grades would remain the same as, if not higher than, the average grade they attained up until the 15th of March. This would be similar to a policy adopted by Exeter and St Andrews.

Davina Yam, the creator of the petition, wrote:

“The coronavirus has affected every student at the University of Nottingham. All classes have been moved online since the 23rd of March 2020 meaning students are missing out on being taught to the usual standard and many have missed out on essential practical workshops for their courses. This is on top of many classes being missed due to strikes in term 1 and term 2. Also, now all university buildings have closed, students cannot access library books or other essential learning facilities. Many students mental health will be extremely negatively impacted by the pandemic, many will have to work in unsuitable environments that will not allow them to work to their full potential, and many will be hindered by coronavirus directly affecting them or their loved ones. While we are aware the University have taken time to change the way we will be assessed, which means some schools will be given longer periods to complete their exams in, we feel like this is not enough to account for the significant disruption caused. Therefore, we feel like a safety net policy is essential.

“We are asking the University of Nottingham to introduce a mitigation system similar to the one introduced by the University of Exeter, University of Liverpool, University of Warwick, University of Manchester, University of Southampton, University of Edinburgh and University of St Andrews in order to bring fairer results for all undergraduates and postgraduate students.”

This policy would ensure that students grades are not negatively impacted by the unexpected circumstances of COVID-19.

The petition concludes:

“It is about time Nottingham did something to protect the welfare of their student body. This year has been rife with difficulties and it is not fair for assessment changes, communicated via email (in some cases, less than a month before the exams are to be sat) to determine our futures. A safety net would alleviate so much pressure and allow us all to focus on what is actually important in our education; learning and bettering ourselves.”

Sign the petition here.