All summer graduation ceremonies to be postponed due to Coronavirus

All summer graduation ceremonies are being postponed with new dates still to be confirmed

Following the government’s restrictions and guidelines on social distancing, Vice-Chancellor Professor Shearer West has confirmed that the University “will postpone – but certainly not cancel” – all graduation ceremonies due to take place in the summer.

However, final year students will still “graduate on time” and will “receive their degree certificates through the postal system”.

This comes after the universities decision to cancel all in-person lectures and instead deliver teaching online from the 23rd March.

The new dates of the postponed ceremonies are yet to be confirmed.

“This year’s finalists will graduate on time and receive their degree certificates through the postal system. However, in the light of the government’s restrictions and in line with many universities, the University will postpone – but certainly not cancel – our summer graduation ceremonies.

“For this, I am truly sorry, and I know how disappointed many of you will feel at this decision.

“Graduation ceremonies are a vital celebration for our finalists and the family and friends who have supported them in their studies and time at University. They are also highly valued by our University staff, those who have taught and supported you during your time at Nottingham.

“I do want to stress that finalists who meet the requirements for their degree awards will graduate this summer.  It is only the ceremonial part of graduation that is postponed.

“The University is committed to rescheduling a very special set of ceremonies for our class of 2020. We will write to you again with full details of the new ceremonies just as soon as we are able.

“We will continue to keep you regularly updated with information through our COVID-19 information webpages, your MyNottingham app and the University’s social media channels.

“In the meantime, I wish you every continued success with your online studies and, as always, my best wishes for your health and happiness.”