Image may contain: People, Clothing, Shoe, Apparel, Footwear, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Poster, Advertisement, Crowd, Protest, Parade, Human, Person

Confirmed: UoN lecturers will take part in strike action for two weeks

The UCU is taking industrial action against poor pay, pensions and working conditions

Lecturers at the University of Nottingham will be taking part in the upcoming strike action orchestrated by the University & College Union (UCU).

The strike will commence on Monday 25 November and is sheduled to end on Wednesday 4 December 2019. Alongside UoN, members of the union from 60 universities across the country are going to take part.

This will be followed by a period of ‘action short of a strike’ where UCU members are asked by the union to work to contract.

Members of the UCU voted for industrial action amid dissatisfaction over pensions, pay, and working conditions.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: "The results can only be interpreted as clear support for strike action over pensions, pay and working conditions. The ballots reflect just how unhappy and angry staff are at the state of higher education in the UK.”

The University issued a statement to students via email, informing them that:

“The University will remain open throughout the strike action and the majority of teaching and learning will proceed.

“Please assume that your lectures, seminars and classes will take place unless notified otherwise.”

Dr Paul Greatrix, the University’s Registrar stated, “I know that none of our colleagues take industrial action lightly and it is important to remember that some 6,000 staff on our UK campuses will not be participating in the strikes.”

The University also provided a link to FAQ’s regarding the strike and ensured that they will be updating via social media and email in the upcoming weeks of any changes.