Image may contain: Outdoors, Woman, Plant, Vegetation, Word, City, Urban, Town, Architecture, Housing, Condo, Female, Accessory, Accessories, Glasses, Face, Office Building, Building, Human, Person

People report Trent professor to the police for telling students to register to vote

She received an onslaught of negative replies

A Nottingham Trent professor recieved an unprecedented amount of backlash when she quote retweeted a tweet made by the University of Nottingham regarding voting in the upcoming General Election.

She was reported to the police and the Electoral Commission, and someone wrote to her vice-chancellor calling for her to be disciplined.

The professor's tweet read: 'Don't forget you can register at both your home and your uni addresses'.

The tweet was posted on Thursday 31st October and by the following Sunday she had blocked 568 'trolls' who claimed she was advocating that students vote twice in the election, which she firmly denies.

One response to the tweet said: 'I'd hate to see a student mislead into voting twice, being convicted of electoral voting fraud and having that conviction on their resume for life', while another said: 'Terribly careless use of words by an academic, assuming she's not advocating a criminal offence.'

While others were in support of her tweeting: 'It’s a shame when well-meaning colleagues are bullied for encouraging students to exercise their democratic rights. #teamcarrie.'

According to a Youthsite poll published by the Higher Education Policy Institute thinktank last week, 74% of students feel the country was wrong to vote to leave the EU and a further 12% were unsure. 53% of whom are willing to vote tactically to achieve their preferred Brexit outcome; making the student vote in the upcoming election pivotal.

You can register to vote here. You must register to vote by 11:59pm on 26 November if you wish to vote in the election on 12 December.