Trent Student fined for spitting on woman in a wheelchair

He’s been fined £100

A Trent Student has been fined £100 for spitting on woman in a wheelchair in Clumber Street.

The student, Henry Lynch-Bell, is also required to do carry out 120 hours of community work.

The incident took place on August 30th at 12.40pm. A witness to the act chased Lynch-Bell into the Intu Victoria Centre where he was then detained by Intu staff.

After the incident, witnesses gathered around the woman and offered tissues to wipe the spit from her collar.

Magistrate Kevin Beardsall told the 21-year-old: "This is totally unacceptable behaviour."

During the hearing, Ben Payne, prosecuting, said: "A female was in a wheelchair and a male came up behind her before leaning forwards and spat at her.

"The female said she heard a loud whistling to her left side and thought it was the wind."

When witnesses told her what had just happened, she became very upset, disgusted and began to cry.

Ben Brown, migitating, said that Lynch-Bell "recognises this was disgusting and is very sorry it happened."

The court also heard that Lynch-Bell is on an NHS waiting list for treatment for issues including depression and has hopes to work in construction management after graduation.