Image may contain: Housing, Condo, Apartment Building, Vehicle, Transportation, Automobile, Car, Town, Urban, City, Building, High Rise

Trent student falls from balcony at student halls

The incident happened in the early hours of Saturday morning

Police rushed to Trent student accommodation after a 19-year-old fell from a second-floor balcony.

Officers arrived at Nottingham Trent University’s Hampden Halls to find the student, who has not yet been named but is believed to be studying at the university, fell to the ground.

The police received a call at 3:48am and officers remained at the scene until late Saturday evening.

One Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said: "A 19-year-old man has been taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after falling from the balcony of a property in Nottingham".

The police have since cordoned off the area, and the second floor of the balcony area of the student uni halls has been taped off in a number of areas whilst the police continue with their enquiries.

Hampden Street remains open and is unaffected by the cordoned areas.

Tom Bestwood, a first year student studying at Nottingham Trent University, said: "Looks like a crime scene to me. You would expect to see stuff like that in Nottingham, but not in student accommodation.”

Another student, Adam Maher, said: "We heard someone had fallen. It’s pretty sad because it can happen to anyone. We’re wishing him a speedy recovery.”

Since the incident on Saturday, the police have released a statement confirming: "At this time we are not treating the incident as suspicious" ,and that "the man's family has been informed".

“If anyone has any information about the incident we'd ask them to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 115 of 5 October 2019.”

A spokeswoman from Nottingham Trent University stated: "We are aware of an incident which took place overnight at Hampden Halls of residence.

"A student was treated by emergency services and taken to hospital. We are currently supporting the friends and flatmates of the student at this worrying time.

"The safety and well-being of our students is our first priority. The residence in question is managed by UPP and we will be carrying out an urgent joint investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.”