Nottingham JSoc call on uni to cancel lecture by controversial Labour MP

Chris Williamson was suspended in February over claims of alleged antisemitism

Members of Nottingham Jewish Society and the Union of Jewish Students (UJS) have called on Nottingham University to cancel a lecture held by Labour MP Chris Williamson, who has been suspended by his party for breaching party rules.

The university's Centre for British Politics has invited Chris Williamson to speak as part of a lecture series on "British Politics in Crisis" held at the School of Politics and International Relations.

Chris Williamson, Labour MP for Derby North, was suspended from Labour earlier in February after claiming his party had been "too apologetic" over internal antisemitism amongst members and MPs.

In a joint statement by Nottingham's Jewish Society and UJS, it was deemed "a wholly unacceptable decision of the University of Nottingham to invite Chris Williamson to give a lecture" to students.

The statement followed highlighting the University's "proud record of being a welcoming place for Jewish students", whilst condemning the decision "to host those suspended from their political parties over anti-Jewish racism".

The talk, planned for Friday October 11th at 1pm, is hosted by assistant professor Mark Stuart and John Hess, former BBC Chief Political Editor in the East Midlands and current Honorary Professor at Nottingham University.