Image may contain: Blazer, Jacket, Tie, Accessory, Accessories, Female, People, Robe, Evening Dress, Gown, Fashion, Performer, Clothing, Overcoat, Apparel, Coat, Suit, Person, Human

Take a look at the swanky national student awards held in a literal Notts Uni exam hall

Can’t imagine they got the hopper bus in their ball gowns

On April 27th, Notts Uni was host to the 46th National Student Television Awards (NaSTAs) for the second time in the association's history. This event brought together 50 student television stations and over 340 delegates from across the UK, with the aim of celebrating rising stars within the industry.

Image may contain: Crowd, Interior Design, Indoors, Lighting, Stage

But fancy as the evening was, we can't ignore the fact that it took place in a glorified King's Meadow Campus exam hall. The thought of the former television studio's glaring lights is enough to send a shiver down the spine of any Notts student unfortunate enough to have endured an exam there.

But on the night, it was almost unrecognisable – with the wooden exam desks replaced with dinner tables and a red carpet!

You can see the complete hall transformation here:

Image may contain: Theater, Night Life, Lighting, Club, Electronics, Display, Monitor, Screen, Crowd, Audience, Room, Human, Person, Indoors, Interior Design

Exam hall glow up (image supplied by Sophia Hazari @SophHazari)

After winning the host bid back in June, UoN's Official Television Station was given the opportunity to host the prestigious event. NSTV, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, broadcasts four channels: Culture, Sports, Entertainment and Features.

Many awards were distributed and key figures with the industry gave insightful and motivational speeches. The overall title of Best Broadcaster was awarded to York.

Image may contain: Dress, Crowd, Performer, Female, People, Coat, Suit, Overcoat, Pants, Stage, Shoe, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

YST (York Student Television) celebrating their win

Joe McGeehan, a current Masters student at Notts Uni and member of NSTV, described the "phenomenal" experience he had as Host Officer. He told The Tab that "seeing the event come to life on Saturday night […] was incredible".

Joe added: "I am so grateful to all the industry judges, guests and to everyone from the University of Nottingham Students’ Union who made the event the huge success it was. NaSTA 2019 has been the perfect end to my 3 years in Nottingham Students’ TV and I wish them every success for the future".

The Tab was also lucky enough to speak to this year's renowned host Matt Barbet, described by Joe as "a brilliant host [whose] professionalism and quick wit kept the event quick paced and engaging". Having spent 20 years in broadcast news, the audience of aspiring journalists were keen to listen to his fascinating experiences.

Matt stated that "it was genuinely special to host this year’s National Student Television Awards, and the team from NSTV, led by Joe McGeehan did a fantastic job.

"It’s no easy feat accommodating more than 30 other student TV stations, especially when the drinks are flowing!"

Image may contain: Face, People, Tuxedo, Tie, Accessories, Accessory, Blazer, Jacket, Performer, Clothing, Overcoat, Apparel, Coat, Suit, Person, Human

Both hosts, Joe and Matt, on stage at the NaSTAs

Studio 7 has a pretty incredible history, as the original home to shows like Family Fortunes and Supermarket Sweep.

Matt commented that "with brilliant production and some added pyrotechnics, the team managed to fill [the studio] with a heady, exciting atmosphere".

I highly doubt the atmosphere will still be "exciting" when Notts students arrive at KMC to sit their exams in a few weeks.

Images from @mikespencerphotography