Image may contain: Building, Office Building

Nottingham Trent crowned The Guardian’s University of the Year

The newspaper praised Trent for its “inclusive curriculum and focus on social mobility.”

In The Guardian's annual awards for UK universities, Nottingham Trent University has been awarded the University of the Year award for their "academic excellence and their inclusivity in education".

The award, calculated according to performance and progression in The Guardian league tables, is given to the university ranking highest in the UK.

The league tables focus on quality of teaching, student satisfaction and graduate employability – Nottingham Trent have been praised in all three areas.

The Guardian's University Guide editor, Judy Friedberg said during the awards ceremony that Nottingham Trent "delivers overall academic excellence while paying close attention to the success of each individual student, no matter their background."

In 2017, Nottingham Trent were awarded a gold rating in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework for its outstanding teaching and learning.

They additionally won the Times Higher Education University of the Year award due to its inclusivity in curriculum design and their focus on social mobility.

Image may contain: Wood, Court, Room, Indoors, Human, Person, Apparel, Overcoat, Clothing, Coat, Suit, Accessory, Tie, Accessories

Nottingham Trent Vice-Chancellor, Professor Edward Peck

Nottingham Trent was the first University to sign up to the government’s social mobility pledge in 2018, providing opportunities to underprivileged young people.

This has become a priority for the growth of the University as Vice-Chancellor, Prof Edward Peck, has stated that a quarter of their students come from households with a combined income of less than £15,000.

Additionally, the University’s Scale-Up scheme won The Guardian award for course and curriculum design. The scheme aims to reduce the gap between the achievement of white and BAME students by 4.2 per cent.

The University's concentration on diversity was equally praised by The Guardian, as one-third of all undergrads and postgrads at Nottingham Trent are BME.