Image may contain: Portrait, Photo, Photography, Hair, Mouth, Lip, Teeth, Skin, Child, Kid, Girl, Blonde, Female, Teen, Woman, Head, Glasses, Accessory, Accessories, Face, Person, Smile, Human

Notts SU president resigns after going public with mental health issues

They are set to resign immediately, with the position vacant for re-election

Following a difficult decision, Jess Lendon, President of the University of Nottingham's SU, has resigned from their position, citing previous experiences at university challening their time acting as President.

After six months in post as President, Jess posted on their Facebook page explaining their resignation, three months after the start of the new academic year.

"Those close to me will know I've been struggling significantly with my mental health since September," they said "I was recently diagnosed with PTSD which stems from me being raped in my first few weeks of my time in Notts in 2015."

Jess deliberated on their experience mentioning that following an incident this September, working at the SU was "one of [their] main triggers", which "meant that [they] can no longer function in [their] role".

In her statement on Facebook, Jess said: "I've been debating this decision for quite some time now, and I have come to the difficult decision to step down from my role as SU President at UoNSU after just 6 months in post.

"Those close to me will know I've been struggling significantly with my mental health since September. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD which stems from me being raped in my first few weeks of my time in Notts in 2015. I was then retraumatised following an incident this September, which has now brought all the trauma and emotions that I was ignoring up to the surface.

"With PTSD you may have certain triggers which cause significant pain including panic attacks and flashbacks. The worst part for me is that working in the SU is one of my main triggers and has meant that I can no longer function in my role.

"It really frustrates me that something that happened to me over 3 years ago still affects me to this day. So please think before you act and treat one another with respect.

"I know I didn't achieve what I wanted to this year. However I have managed to prioritise my mental health and wellbeing above all else, for the first time in my life and I advise you to do the same, because I am the happiest I have been for a very long time.

"Don't get me wrong being involved in the SU has been the best decision of my life, thanks to the friends that I've made and these photos are just a few of my great memories."

Acting Chief Executive of the Nottingham SU David Goodacre said: “We’re sad that Jess will not be continuing in their role, they will be greatly missed but we completely understand and respect their decision. We wish them all the success and best for the future.”