Nottingham grad Matt Carapiet’s body found in Nepal

He graduated in 2013

Architecture graduate Matt Carapiet has been confirmed as the second British national to have died in the Nepal earthquake.

His family released a statement saying: “Matt was a much-loved son, brother, grandson and nephew. He also had a caring group of friends, who all have precious memories of how kind, happy, creative and brilliant he was. He made a huge impression on the lives of everyone he met.”

Last week the Nepalese authorities had retrieved 51 bodies from the Langtang valley, including six foreigners. It is not clear if Matt was among those.

The Foreign office confirmed yesterday the student’s body had been found and his identity confirmed. Officials did not say where his body had been discovered.

Matt was touring Asia on a gap year and was due to start an architecture masters in September.

He had called his parents on 19 April to say that he was going to be trekking into the Langtang valley, north of capital Kathmandu. They didn’t hear from him again once the earthquake had struck.

He graduated from Nottingham with a 2:1 in 2013 and had been interning for Zaha Hadid Architects.

A Facebook page, Bring Matt Carapiet Home was created to help with the search and it has been shared by architecture students past and present who worked with Matt and were desperate to see him return home safely.