Victim of Derby Grove blaze named by police as local dad

Police have charged a 56-year-old man with murder

The victim of the fatal fire on Derby Grove has been named as local dad Christopher Bonnick.

Notts Police have also released the name charged with Mr Bonnick’s murder as Sekou Somare, 56, also of Derby Grove.

The 56-year-old appeared before Nottingham Magistrates’ Court this morning.

The incident occurred around 12.45pm on Sunday. Smoke was seen pouring out of the windows of the house, filling the street. Students in neighbouring properties evacuated their houses while fire crews attempted to extinguish the blaze.

Witness reported seeing the victim being carried out the house by paramedics before being treated at the scene. He was taken to the QMC for further treatment but tragically died from his injuries at 1:10pm.

The police services have continued to patrol the area extensively with dogs attending the scene yesterday in an attempt to find the source of the inferno.

Fire fighters tackling the fire early today

The harrowing news of this incident has been met with great unease by students in Lenton.

Third year Ben told The Tab: “It happened so close to home, it’s hard not to feel uneasy.”

Despite the ongoing police patrols in the immediate vicinity, there is no real sense of comfort or security in the area.