Can you be-leaf it? Sports Centre Scuppered by shrubs

It was an act of tree-son

Desk sucking fleece enthusiasts have canned plans for a new £40 million development because of three old Oak trees.

Nottingham City Council voted to axe plans for a new hi-tech sports centre on Uni Park, and won’t let the Uni cut down three 150 year-old Oak trees blocking the way.

This guy will never exist now.

The callous councillors voted seven to six against the building, which would have seen the trees removed for a brand spanking new 20-court sports hall and indoor running track.

The project was partially funded by mobile magnate and Tory donor David Ross. The centre was to also include a brand new fitness suite and climbing walls.

Dr Paul Greatrix, the University of Nottingham registar, said: “The decision smacks of hypocrisy.

“Given the number of mature trees, including 40 on University Boulevard, felled by the city council to make way for the tram and ring road improvements.

“We are one of the leading universities in the world. To sustain this position we need to continue to invest in our estate.

“The £40 million Sports Village was the next step in this plan. It is extraordinary that the committee failed to realise this.”

An artist’s impression of the new sports facilities

Councillor Sally Longford, who represents University Park on the City Council, voted against the plans.

She told The Tab: “I didn’t want to vote against the Sports Centre, I know how beneficial it would be to students, and I’ve graduated twice at ceremonies in the current sports hall, and know it isn’t a great building.

“We were all hoping that the University could amend the plans and save the trees, and this didn’t seem unrealistic, since the trees are right on the boundary of the proposed building and a movement of just a few metres would make it possible to have a great sports centre and keep the trees.

“I am hoping the University will now come back with a compromise, which would keep trees and build the sports centre.”