Arise, Sir VC

Dave meets Liz

Professor and now “Sir” David Greenaway, the Vice-Chancellor of The University of Nottingham,received his knighthood from Her Majesty the Queen this Tuesday

The honour was bestowed upon him in recognition of his extensive achievements in higher education as well as some impressive contributions towards public service.

These have included Chairman of the Armed Forces Pay Review Body from 1998-2010, Non-Executive Director of the Nottingham Health Authority and Consultant to the World Bank, Organisation for the OECD, the European Commission, the United Nations, World Trade Organization, and HM Treasury amongst other boring-sounding things

Wife Susan, sons Stuart and Dan, and daughters-in-law Caroline and Georgina were all in attendance, and watched on proudly as the head of the family was knighted by the head of the state.

Much the family man, Sir David spoke lovingly of them before the occasion: “This will be a special day and I am thrilled at the prospect of sharing the whole experience with my family.

Now a real figurehead at UON, Sir David Greenaway has led the University as Vice-Chancellor for the last 6 years.

Having dedicated the majority of his life to the institution however, he also expressed what a huge part influence it has had on his illustrious career.

He said: “a constant has been the inspirational qualities of the many colleagues and students I meet and work with.

“It is an enormous privilege to lead the University and my day at Buckingham Palace is just as much an honour for Nottingham as it is for me.”

Congrats Sir Dave!