Copson calls out Cav chants

SU president promises investigation into allegations WeekOne reps broke their contracts

SU president Harry Copson has spoken out against a “violent, necrophiliac” chant and is taking the situation “very seriously”.

The chant, depicted in a video released last week, has been widely slammed.

Most notably by UoN Feminists, who said: “We’re understandably unimpressed with the chant itself and feel the content is playing into the lad culture were looking to tackle via our lad culture pledge.”

Freshers chanting the sickening lyrics

Speaking to The Tab, Copson expressed his distaste for the incident.

He said: “The matter is under investigation which we are taking very seriously, and appropriate actions will be taken once the investigation is complete.”

UoN Feminists have also criticised the chant

The lyrics to the chant appear to go against WeekOne reps contracts, with one clause specifically stating: “I will not promote the singing of abusive, offensive, crude or intimidating chants and songs in Week One.”

The Tab understands that this is an annual tradition that has been taking place for at least three years.

James, who was a Cavendish Hall fresher in 2011, said: “I didn’t think much of it at the time, probably because it was Freshers’ Week and everything was new.

“It doesn’t offend me as such because it is obviously meant to be a joke. It’s clearly disgusting when you think about it but as a fresher I certainly wasn’t exactly ‘thinking’ that hard about it at the time.”