‘What goes on tour stays on tour’: Meet the Captains

Here are the leading ladies of sport at Nottingham

As term kicks off, so does the sporting season.

Our teams boast Olympic athletes and international players, we are top of the BUCS league tables and we are looking to be victorious at Varsity once again. Here are the women who are going to make that happen.

Rowing – Eleanor Ball

Women’s rowing captain Eleanor Ball

Any funny tales from tour?
Last year at the Varsity boat race in Malaysia, a couple of girls racing in a pair had a bit of dodgy steering and went so far off course they didn’t actually cross the finish line, but they still qualified for the final (which went much better)! Other than that, our coach will be especially glad to hear this: what goes on tour stays on tour.

What position are you?
7

Why are you the best team at uni?
We are a really friendly club and always have a lot of fun, even at early morning training. We welcome people of all abilities, so even if you have never rowed before you can be in the novice squad and have a coach teach you all the basics and hopefully get you racing within a few weeks. We are very competitive and our hard work pays off with good results.

What’s the best rowing social?
Every social is a lot of fun, as everyone gets on so well. The lycra social is always especially good – everyone looks pretty silly going out in their lycra all-in-ones, but it’s got to be done!

Who should we look out for in the club?
Helen Wilson. She rows and coxes and isn’t afraid to speak her mind!

What’s a typical race day like?
At regattas there are always a lot of races going on, so you’re often there all day. When you’re not racing you’re either cheering on other people, eating home-made cakes, having a team talk or judging other teams’ kit! Regattas are often a bit nerve-wracking but always very exciting.

Rugby – Jess Green

What position are you?
I play scrum half.

Why are you the best team at uni?
We welcome anyone who wants to play, whether they have past experience or not, there is a position out there for everyone! We are like a massive family and just love to have a laugh!

What’s the best social?
Most of our socials are fancy dress but the best ones have got to be the Noah’s Ark joint social and the granny social! Nothing like being an old lady in crisis for the night!

Who should we look out for in the club?
We have so many good players but Emma Lumley is definitely someone to watch.

Do you go on tour? Any funny tales?
Yes we do and there are a lot of crazy stories to be told, but you will have to come training to find out.

How was varsity? Do you have big hopes for this year?
Varsity was amazing. There’s nothing like thrashing Trent and the support was brilliant. I just can’t wait to beat them again this year. We have a lot going for us this season, and have a real chance of winning our league

Hockey – Helen Bowden

Helen Bowden

What position are you?
My position for the last year has been mostly up front as a left or right forward.

Why are you the best team at uni?
We’re the best team at uni because we’re in the highest league possible playing against the likes of Loughborough, Birmingham, and Durham whose teams include numerous current international players. We haven’t lost a game at home for the past two years.

What’s the best social?
The best social of the year has to be the ‘mothers and daughters’ social when the first years find out who their hockey mother is. The fancy dress is always fantastic and it never fails to be a hilarious night.

Who should we look out for in the club?
It’s difficult to pick just one but I would have to go for Lizzie Holmes aka Blandon. She’s weird and wonderful, an unbelievable player, and loves a good sprint home from Crisis on a Wednesday.

Any funny tales from tour?
Tour is an annual event, last year’s was to Lloret De Mar and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Too many funny tales to pick from but I’m afraid what happens on tour stays on tour.

Varsity is without doubt the best day/night of the year and everyone comes down to watch making the atmosphere electric. We beat Trent 7-1 this year so hopefully we can repeat or even improve on that score line this coming season.

Lacrosse – Magalie Whitton

What position are you?
Midfield Attack

Why are you the best club at uni?
Aside from having the best and messiest nights out on Wednesdays we also have three BUCS teams that partake in the top three leagues respectively. Additionally we have a huge development squad that means that we never turn players away. The teams all mix really well and all players are welcome, so we always get a really great variety of people.

What’s the best social and why?
Our family social is always a popular one. It is an intergenerational night where the 3rd years take out their curlers and cake on the talcum powder, the 2nd years get out their rolling pins and fish out their best aprons and the freshers jump into their onesies and reunite with their dummies. It’s always a social to remember… unless you’re a fresher.

Who should we look out for in the club?
Georgie Knight is definitely the one to watch this season. She’s new to Nottingham and really impressed us with her goalkeeping skills at preseason. We’ve seen her talent on the pitch and now we’re waiting to see her bring her A game to Crisis.

Triathlon – Jess Griffiths

Why are you the best team at uni?
We accommodate for all abilities ranging from novice to GB age group level which leads to having a lot of fun competitiveness among the members in the club – there’s something for everyone.

What’s the best social?
The winter sports social last year – everyone dressed up as a different event and there was even an ice luge crafted by our new president.

Who should we look out for in the club?
Lewis Sanders – he won his age group at Ironman UK this year and is competing in Kona this October.

Any funny tales from tour?
We have a training camp in Majorca each year where we do a sea swim each morning and then cycle around 60+ each day. Last year Josh got so tired on one ride he had to nap on the park bench and ate 2 mars bars and Lucozade before he managed to make it back to the villa.

Do you have big hopes for this year?
We are hoping to have the first unofficial varsity this year and we have very high hopes competing against Trent!