Crying mums on campus

Here’s a lot of mums suffering from empty nest syndrome

Campus resembled a Volvo dealership on Sunday as this year’s freshers descended on Uni Park to embark on a week of drunken antics with their new found friends.

It was an emotional day for everyone as they said goodbye to their families, the pet dog and regularly cooked meals.

We spoke to the lady who has held their hands for the past 18 years, and the most important woman in their life to date, for some parting words of advice and to see what they are going to miss the most about their clever little cherub.

And made them cry a little bit more.

Kumaran and his mum Sieva

“Don’t forget the actual purpose of coming here.”

Alex and his mum Kate

“I’ll miss my hugs the most.”

Charlie and his mum Tracey

“Try and not drink until you’re sick. Try and get to your lectures but please don’t be sick, I don’t want a phone call saying you’re having your stomach pumped.

“The dog is going to miss him.”

Stephanie and her mum Ulrika

“Stay safe, don’t drink so much and be good. I’ve heard all the horror stories from my son.

“You grow up so quickly. At first you want them to as a baby because you just want to sleep and then they just go whoosh, they’re gone”

Ciara and her mum Angela

“Make the most of it, don’t hesitate to take every opportunity but watch the budget.

“I think I’m going to miss her presence the most and her company.”

Rebecca and her mum Jane

“I’m going to miss the music the most, she plays the piano all the time – it’s going to be a quiet house without her.”

Ellie and her mum Adrienne

“Don’t do anything you don’t want to do, make sure you do things you want to do and you’re not being coerced into it by someone else.”

Eileen and her mum Sally

“Just remember everything I have taught you. Now is the time to make your own decisions without me being there. Make the right moral decisions.

“I’ll miss her company but I won’t miss the mess.”

Kishan and his mum Lovely

“Don’t get too drunk. I’m going to miss not having him around to shout at.”

Kim and her mum Judith

“I’m going to miss her hugs the most.” (Judith burst into tears at this point)

Lucy and her mum Barbara

“Don’t speak to any strange men.”

Joel and his mum Sally

“I’m going to miss his smile.”

Rodrigo and his mum Dio

“I’m going to miss his mess.”

Liam and his mum Elaine

“I’m getting rid of my baby boy! I will come home from work though and the house will still be tidy, but  I’m losing my babysitter as well.”

Emma and her mum Elaine

“I’m going to particularly miss her on a Sunday night when we sit down to watch Downton Abbey and Strictly Come Dancing because that’s when we have  family time.”

Alex and his mum Jan

“I’m going to miss his smiley face.”