Preview: Under The Radar Festival

Sunday’s UTR Festival has been organised by Nottingham students and will showcase some of UoN’s finest musicians – we spoke to one of the hosts

This Sunday’s Under The Radar Festival, hosted by Notts students Alex Noble and Michael Pugh, is a celebration of the city’s up-and-coming musical talent. With all proceeds going to charity and four UoN acts performing, it’s promising to be one of the best end-of-term events of 2014.

We caught up with Alex Noble, one half of April Towers and one of the main organisers of this weekend’s festival, to talk about what kind of music to expect and why you’d be mad to miss it.

The Tab: So, Alex, what is Under The Radar Festival?

Alex: Under The Radar Festival is a celebration of local music courtesy of Nottingham University’s award winning radio station URN. We are putting on bands that we have championed throughout the year in The Chameleon Arts Cafe, one of Nottingham’s finest small venues.

Alex performing as one half of April Towers

The Tab: Why should people come?

Alex: Nottingham Uni has had a wonderful few years in terms of producing bands, and this year’s crop are gaining local and national attention.

It’s a perfect opportunity to get in to the local music scene and experience a venue that many students may have not come across before. The £3 tickets are a total bargain for the number of acts playing, especially considering all proceeds go to Emmanuel House Homeless Centre in Nottingham.

The Tab: Why did you choose this charity?

Alex: We chose Emmanuel House as Michael Pugh (co-host of Under The Radar) volunteers there every week. We ran a football quiz for Emmanuel earlier in the year which proved a great success and decided that raising funds through UTR Fest would help them continue the wonderful work that they do.

The Tab: What kind of music can we expect?

Alex: We have music that will interest a lot of people across many genres! From the acoustic delights of George Holroyd and Leah Sinead, to the indie sounds of Three Girl Rhumba and Huskies, to the Jazz and Swing of Cheshire And The Cat, and the electronic pop of OneGirlOneBoy and April Towers – there’s something for everyone.