Spanky Van Dykes is a hipster haven

The Tab delved into the hipster haven that is Spanky Van Dykes for a spot of dinner.

Despite its initial gloomy appearance, the mismatched chairs and tables combined with twinkly fairy lights result in a comfy, relaxed atmosphere that’s perfect for a casual drink and bite to eat.

Perfect atmosphere for a drink and bite to eat

After a quick peruse of the menu, The Tab went for the halloumi and chorizo burger, the chilli dog – with flavoursome chunky beef and kidney beans – and a side of garlic and herb foccaccia.

The Tab loves Spanky’s burgers

Each main comes with a side of double cooked chunky chips which brilliantly meet the ‘crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside’ specification.

The only slight criticism would be that the burger bun was rather low quality, but with the chips and foccaccia this wasn’t an issue as there was plenty to fill up on.

Hipster haven

Spanky Van Dykes is incredibly good value – a burger, half a side and a glass of wine was around £12 – so you can’t really complain, and it’s ideally situated for the concert hall, Theatre Royal, and Rock City for a pre show drink.

Even better is their Tuesday deal: burgers are buy one get one free, providing the perfect excuse for a meal out.

Highly recommended for a casual meal out, Spankys ticks all the boxes.