We met the new UoN Snow Sports race captain

We talk ski, socials and slopes with new race captain Seb Huff

So you’ve just got back from Val Thorens (or at least feel like you have after being spammed by images of Notts students enjoying the high life on a distant slope) but what’s it really like to participate in snow sports on a regular basis?

If you don’t know much about UoN Snow Sports, you should, because it’s perhaps one of the coolest societies around.

Seb Huff, nicknamed ‘The Huff’, is the newly appointed race captain. He sat down with The Tab to talk about last season, socials and the slopes…

The Tab: Hi Seb, thanks for joining us today. How does it feel to be the new race captain for UoN snow sports, and what does your role entail?

Seb: It feels incredible. Being a part of the society has been a huge highlight in my time at Uni so I’m thrilled to be getting more involved. As race captain I’ll be organising the racing side of training and competitions over the next year. There is a lot to get involved with!

T: Can you give any advice for new members of UoN Snowsports?

S: Don’t be afraid! The guys and girls are a friendly bunch; we love new skiers/boarders of all abilities. It’s also a great (and really cost effective) way of improving technique.

Seb in action

T: You mentioned competitions?

S: Well, we compete at racing and freestyle all through the year, there are lots of different formats for racing, and we do it on dry-slopes, indoor, and on snow. Ski and board racing are BUCS points sports on dry slope and snow. For the first time, next year freestyle will get BUCS points.

T: How regularly do you guys get together?

S: We train all through the year at Stoke and Castleford; it’s a pretty casual affair. There are also beginner lessons for people who have never skied before.

T: What’s the best part of being in the society?

S: Both competing and the socials are pretty sweet, but I’d say the best part for me has been meeting new people. I guess it’s like a second family where everyone is really like minded when it comes to skiing, and being naturally edgy of course.

T: Do you have any skiing idols?

S: I’d have to say Bode Miller. He’s been around forever and is still one of the most exciting guys to watch. I have more than a man crush on that dude.

T: How was the last snow season?

S: Yeah it was awesome. We had two hugely successful NUSnow trips to Les Deux Alpes and Val Thorens and some insane snowcials. We also competed at KINGS races, BUDS in Edinburgh and BUISC indoor championships at Milton Keynes and Castleford, with some great results for both freestyle and racing.

T: What’s lined up for next season?

S: Well, obviously we have the trips: one at Christmas, and one at Easter. I can’t reveal locations yet but the committee is in talks with trip providers and as usual you can expect big things. There will also be the usual assortment of competitions and social delights. Look forward to shredding some pow!

T: So do you have any final advice for anyone wanting to get into snow sports?

S: Check out the edits online and get involved with racing or freestyle, it’s the best way to meet people before the trip, and on market bar socials you can’t help but feel like a bnoc.

Great to hear from you Seb, thanks for talking to us.

If you want to know more about UoN Snowsports visit their Facebook page or their YouTube channel. You can also check out events at kingski.org and buscevents.com.