Gruesome Twosome: Nottingham’s VCs amongst best paid in UK

New figures have revealed that UoN and Trent’s Vice Chancellors earn over £700k between them

Vice-chancellors of UoN and Trent are two of the highest paid VCs in the country.

The Times Higher Education figures showed that Nottingham’s Professor David Greenaway was one of the best paid in the country, with a total remuneration exceeding £350k. Both VCs had a seven per cent pay raise in the past year, yet not all university employees felt that the pay raise was fair.

The figures also show that the annual salary of Nottingham Trent’s VC Professor Neil Gorman was £366,000 in the 2012-2013 academic year, including his £45,000 pension contribution.

This figure makes Professor Gorman the 9th highest paid VC in the country, beating competition from many real universities.

Both VCs had a seven per cent pay raise in the past year, yet not all university employees felt that this was fair.

Prof. Neil Gorman, NTU VC since ’03

Paid over £350k but still finds time for his favourite bench

Some members of staff participated in national strike action, as they felt their pay raises were nowhere near as rewarding as the VCs’ were.

A University of Nottingham spokesman told the Notts post:

“The vice-chancellor of the University of Nottingham manages an international research led institution which employs 6,500 staff and is attended by more than 43,000 students across its award winning campuses here in the UK, China and Malaysia.

“The job of running an institution of this nature with a turn-over of almost £600 million is complex and demanding.

“Therefore, we would expect to be paying a higher-than-average salary to someone who plays such a key role in the operation and development of one of Britain’s top universities.”

Sally Hunt, general secretary of the University and College Union, which represents staff, told the Nottingham post she was critical of pay rates.

She said: “It looks very much like one rule for those at the top and one for everyone else.

Pay issues caused lecturers to strike earlier this year

“The lack of self-awareness from university leaders when it comes to their own pay and perks continues to be an embarrassment for the sector.”