Things Students Should Appreciate More

We hear from a year-abroader who’s missing the glorious UoN…

The morning after St Paddy’s my alarm went off at 7am.

A year ago I would have been the first to hit snooze and devote the day to nursing my hangover. However, I’ve chosen to work during my year abroad, so now I have a job and responsibilities. Boo.

Luckily for me, I’ve got another year at uni to waste, but to all you final years who are looking forward to graduating, here are 10 things to appreciate the hell out of while you still can.

1. Partying on school nights

Because skipping school to spend quality time with your hangover is apparently not okay when you’re the teacher…

If only men could be so easy to please…

2. Studying

We’ve more or less spent the past 15 years of life actively not doing homework. Not doing homework has become part of who we are.

If we don’t have homework to not do, what do we do?

Adult education saved me from an existential crisis

3. Living with your best friends

In real life, rather than moving in with your mates, you answer an ad on the side of a lamppost and then have about half an hour to decide whether or not they’re a sociopath before you sign a contract binding yourself to them for the next year.

Just me and Mr Tibbles

4. People to indulge your weird hobbies

A good quidditch team is so hard to find off-campus.

Societies are great ways of pretending your Harry Potter is a valuable contribution to the community.

5. Dates

Your colleagues are all in their forties and if there’s one thing that uni has taught you, it’s that sleeping with your housemates is a bad, bad idea…

Tinder it is then!

Oh good lord..

6. Student Finance

If your student loan is enough to fund a summer holiday to Thailand, then you’re probably not as poor as you think you are.

This seems more realistic on my salary

7. Student discount

Once the student card runs out we’re not going to the cinema until we classify a an OAP.

£10 to watch a film, daFUQ Cineworld?!

Y SO EXPENSIF.

8. Low expectations

No one expects a student to meet a deadline, turn up on time, get up before midday, be sober etc. yet as soon as you get a job suddenly you’re expected to be a fully functioning adult.

#JUDGINGYOU

9. Freedom to dress like a homeless person

Shopping is less fun when you have to base outfit choices on ‘what is least likely to get me fired?’

Making my outfit safe for work

10. Low contact hours

Any arts student would have panic attacks on hearing the words “nine to five”.

Coping mechanisms: meditation and weekly therapy.

But when can I watch Netflix in my onesie in the daytime?!