Uni reminds students of the power of their votes

Anti-fascism group leads voter drive on campus

One of the UK’s largest grassroots organisations organised a voter registration drive on campus last week.

HOPE not Hate, a group formed to combat racism and extremism, joined forces with the UoN Romanian Society to encourage students to vote.

Photo via hopenothate.org.uk

1,000 flyers encouraging voting were handed out and dozens of students were registered to vote as the group stressed the importance of students using their voting rights.

Hope not Hate are a political pressure group campaigning against racism and fascism of all forms in the UK. Their supporters include many famous faces including Lord Sugar and Eddie Izzard.

Their participation was part of their Campus Call Out events across the country, through which they aim to promote voter registration and draw attention to the importance of voting, along with emphasizing the significance of speaking up against fear and hate, especially during elections.

Abiodun Michael Temidayo Olatokun, Environment and Social Justice Officer at University of Nottingham Students Union, welcomed the HOPE not hate campaign. He said: “Students have to be reminded that they need to take ownership of key issues in our society… More people, both students and the wider society, have to join forces and support the work HOPE not hate is doing to celebrate the values that bring us together. ”

Photo via hopenothate.org.uk

HOPE’s policy officer and organiser Elisabeth Pop told the Nottingham Post: “Students are natural allies in the battle against fear and hate. A recent YouGov survey found that the attitudes of younger people were far more positive than older people.

“However, many students are not registered to vote and many of those who are don’t actually vote.”