NUDance Extravaganza

The Tab went along to check out NUDance’s annual show and see if it lived up to its bold choice in name.

With a title like ‘EXTRAVAGANZA’, NUDance has set expectations soaring for their latest showcase, which promised to provide ‘All of the Fun of the Circus, Carnival and Fair’.

Well, NUDance do everything but disappoint – ‘Extravaganza’ proved to be an eclectic array of dazzling dance styles performed to spectacularly high quality.

Anything but disappoint

From the charming tap routines to the dynamic street troupe and from the endearing contemporary choreography to dramatic ballet numbers, it’s fair to say that the level of talent in this UoN society is sky-rocketing.

‘Extravaganza’ succeeded in one area where a lot of dance showcases fail. Instead of repeatedly wheeling out the same favourite soloists in nearly every single number, this show prospered through showcasing the diversity of fantastic ability the many dancers have to offer.

Certainly an extravaganza

One highlight has to be the stunning contemporary troupe number, ‘Jar of Hearts’ – a beautiful example of how dance can be used to build an endearing narrative, executed through the dancers’ convincing emotional performances and near magical skills of musicality. It’s a truly entrancing, almost heart breaking, piece to witness.

Vibrant performance

On the flip side, other numbers had me beaming ear-to-ear. The version of 42nd Street’s ‘We’re in the Money’ perfectly combines cutesy tap steps and glitzy costumes which will transport you to 1930s Broadway.

‘Street Carnival’, a routine by the society’s vibrant street dancers, feels like a party transported onto the stage – the performers bounce off each other’s energy to create a pulsating display of choreography.

Hands down better than Trent

You can see the enjoyment and sheer passion for dance that radiates off each performer as they take the stage. NU Dance were riding on the highs of last weekend when they won the best dance society in the country at a national competition at Loughborough.

Winning big in Loughborough

Their infectious enjoyment for performing makes this showcase extremely fun to watch – which, after all, is what NUDance promised us!