Tab Taste Test: Pancake Day

Pancake day is looming and we couldn’t be happier about it. Here’s a rundown of the best and baddest toppings you need to stock up on – immediately.

As Pancake Day looms, it’s time for The Tab to delve into the sweet journalism of toppings.

Being a classic lemon and sugar or syrup girl myself, I felt it was time to expand my battery horizons just in time for Pancake Day.

And now I bring you the delicious results of my alternative topping taste test …

Banoffee

Such a classic desert, why not put it on a pancake?

Nom!

Ingredients: 1 banana

Squirt of toffee sauce

Verdict: 4/5, while delicious it was a bit sickly but if you love toffee it’s definitely for you!

Bacon and Egg

A selicious breakfast treat for those after-Ocean hangover Saturdays.

HEAVEN

Ingredients: 1-2 eggs (scrambled)

2-3 strips of bacon (crispy)

Verdict: 5/5, what could possibly be wrong about this topping?

Hint: a drop of maple syrup doesn’t go amiss on top of this masterpiece!

Fruit Surprise

If you’re feeling like being a bit healthy with your pancaking, why not try this concoction of fruit and whatnots?

Fruity annnd delicious

Ingredients: 2 strawberries

1 banana

Handful of raisins

2-3 scoops of ice cream (vanilla)

Verdict: 3/5, while still pretty good, this was just a bit too fruity for me. I like a good bit of strawberry don’t get me wrong but I much prefer a bit of chocolate or syrup on top instead of more fruit. For a change in texture, why not try a bit of broken biscuit?

Cadbury’s Creme Egg

I think the title is explanatory enough!

Just …

Ingredients: 2-3 Cadbury’s Creme Eggs (depending on how chocolatey you’re feeling) – melt and pour over the top, simple as

Verdict: 5/5, do I need to explain why this got full marks? Where could it possibly go wrong?!

Strawberries and Cream

While it may not be summer or Wimbledon, this British classic can’t go wrong really (unless you don’t like strawberries or cream of course).

‘(would) Love-30 (more pancakes please)’

Ingredients: 3-4 strawberries

Whipped cream (as much as you like)

Verdict: 4/5, it’s light and fluffy and makes you think of summer. Wonderful!