Review: The Vagina Monologues

The Tab went to check out all the vaginas, pussies and foofoos at the New Theatre.

The Vagina Monologues reflect upon the female experience in society; the good, the bad and the ugly.

Vagina: it really is such a funny word. It gets stuck on your tongue like chewing gum, and when you eventually get it out, it can cause all sorts of reactions.

Such a funny word

Each monologue threw around the word vagina so much that it reached a state of normality. The question arises; why are we actually so scared of vaginas?

We are taken on a journey by each character and their story. From the brave stories of traumatic sexual experiences to a general fear of what this mysterious body part does, and can do, really leaves women scared of their vaginas!

The monologues play with a roller-coaster of emotions; from hysterical laughter, to the gulping back of tears, and the dreaded lip quiver. By the end, you are left exhausted.

The actors showed a mature and enthusiastic response to the monologues they performed. Directors Georgina Charles and Gina Shenouda conducted one-on-one workshops with everyone, working towards personal goals to feel empowered as a woman.

The Vagina Monologues Sisterhood

The shock-factor of one particular monologue made it stand out amongst the rest.

Grace Roberts played a Bosnian woman subjected to rape camps.  The honest portrayal of this woman’s feelings and anxieties was incredibly powerful and made it truly memorable.

The Vagina Monologues continued to tug on my brain long after it finished. The Women’s Network’s rendition definitely did it justice.

Read our interview with Georgina Charles here

Check out the Facebook event for details about Monday’s women’s only performance at the Nottingham Women’s Centre.