What’s on your lips?

Finding the right lipstick to complete that perfect outfit can be a chore. Jessica Twist talks us through the best and worst out there, just in time for Valentines day.

A girl should never leave the house without her lipstick on.

Here in Nottingham, we’re known for our luscious green campus, concrete jungle city and unbeatable crime rates.

For a backdrop as diverse as this city, a multitude of make-up is a necessity – suiting every outing doesn’t come easy.

You can never have enough: from deep purples to natural nudes there is always a new shade waiting to be bought and ruin our bank accounts.

What will your new shade be?

So, it’s Chanel.  We know, we know… not student prices, but if you’re looking to splurge, this lipstick is a good place to start.

This specific shade combines a nude tint with a bit of sparkle. It’s great addition to a dark eye shadow, and perfect for a dinner date.

Chanel lipsticks provide hydration and comfort- each application gives 8-hour hydration! So even if you’re being blown away by gale force winds, your make-up won’t show it.

Chanel “Rouge Coco”, £24

If you’re the kind of girl that always ends up losing half the contents of her bag in Ocean, this lipstick is for you.

At just £4.99 this Rimmel number is great for ‘one of thoooose nights’.

It is easy to apply and best of all, smells great. Wear it with a hint of gold eyeshadow and a little black dress and Cocotang will welcome you with open arms.

Rimmel “Starry-eyed 128”, £4.99

Nottingham seems endlessly rainy and grey recently, but this lipstick will brighten things up.

Bobbi Brown’s creamy semi-matte lipstick gives your lips instant polish with rich, full coverage.

This orange colour may not be for the faint hearted but Bobbi Brown has a huge range of shades to choose from.

Bobbi Brown “Carnation”, £19.

Clinique has the reputation for being the master of lipsticks – it’s like the Baywatch of the lipstick brands.

Our chosen colour is Rosa Aglow.  It is long lasting and sheer which gives your lips a soft shine finish.

A quick hint… the Clinique  Violet colour is another wintery dark colour, but won’t overwhelm your face for a trip to uni or the shops.

Clinique “Rosa Aglow”, £17

Every girl struggles to find that perfect red lipstick.  They pretty much all end up off our mouths and all over our faces by the end of Crisis anyway.

BUT The Tab has finally found the dream red lippy:

MAC’s matte a favourite is Viva Glam Intense Bronze Red- A53.

A quick tip… for ultimate lip coverage, use MAC lip pencil, colour Brick.

Lipstick MAC “Bronze Red A53”, £15
Lip pencil “Brick”, £12

We know lip gloss is for 12 year olds and Madonna, but this NARS “Babe” lip gloss is extremely wearable and versatile.

It has serious shine and can be worn alone or over other lip formulas for added dimension.

NARS “Babe”, £17.50

Matte Me, Sleek make up liquid lipstick glides on with a smooth applicator like a lip gloss but dries hard, like a lip stick.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

For just £4.99 this is a must-have make-up bag staple.

Matte Me “Birthday Suit” £4.99

FINAL Lip tip! 

Apply Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream to your lips every night before bed to achieve those perfect soft lips.

At £25 this cream is expensive but worth every penny and will last you a lifetime!