American football Varsity cancelled

Stadium claimed to be “unsafe” for spectators

| UPDATED exclusive

The UoN American Football team have told The Tab that their Varsity match against Trent will not be going ahead for “safety reasons”.

Publicity Officer Tom Walshe exclusively revealed that the Harvey Hadden Stadium has been deemed “unsafe” for spectators, forcing Friday’s Varsity clash to be postponed indefinitely.

Harvey Hadden Stadium: “unsafe”

Instead, the team will play their league match against Trent behind closed doors, with an official Varsity Series fixture to potentially be rescheduled for “sometime around April and May”.

Despite the obvious disappointment, Walshe is still focused on winning the “must-win game”, saying that the Uni boys have “every belief” that they can win, even though they lost 28-0 this time last year.

As the dust starts to settle on Monday’s dramatic win in the Ice Hockey, the news is sure to cause a wave of disappointment to spread through Lenton and University Park.

Trent’s Marcus ‘Patches’ Boswell said: “It’s still an important game for the guys as this, as always, will likely determine which team is going to head for a playoff run.

“Even though the game is not going to have the crowd or entertainments, the team are obviously focused on making sure we win in the bid to retain our Plate Trophy.

“Hopefully we can get everything confirmed in terms of the possible second fixture which will be held as a Varsity match only, and that will hopefully be confirmed in the next few weeks.”