Engineering Exam from Hell: Seething Students Sign Petition

Engineering students have drawn up a petition after a ridiculously hard exam left them reeling

400 students from the University of Nottingham have signed a petition asking for leniency after struggling in an exam they deemed “impossible to fully prepare for.”

The Differential Equations and Calculus exam, which is taken by engineers of all departments, makes up a whopping 90% of each student’s module grade so it’s hardly surprising that many have been left unimpressed.

400 signatures

Commenting on the exam, one student said: “It was a real slap in the face, I’d revised all Christmas for an exam that was literally impossible to do. I felt so depressed; I slept for two days straight and couldn’t even bring myself to revise for the rest of my exams.”

Students were particularly annoyed with the lack of relevance of the exam questions as the test contained methods that were not covered in lecture notes, problem sheets or past exam papers.

The petition, which went live last week, quickly gained support amongst fellow engineers.

The terms of the petition

It states that “despite the fact that most of the students spent all their Christmas break studying and trying to efficiently organise their revision, due to the poorly organised exam timetable, this exam apparently seemed impossible to fully prepare for, since doing all that was necessary and recommended was not enough to satisfy the difficult assessment criteria.”

As it stands the engineering department is yet to respond to the petition and only time will tell whether the students will get their wish.