BUCS Update

How did Notts fare in the first week of the BUCS season?

Each week, Nottingham’s top sportsmen and women slog it out against the biggest Universities in the country. Have you ever wondered how they’re doing?

Well, now you don’t have to. The Tab’s Sports Team is going to bringing you a comprehensive weekly round-up of all the news and views from UoN’s top sports teams…

Football

The men’s 1st team drew 0-0 with Sheffield Hallam in their opening fixture in the Premier North division, while the Women’s 1sts produced a staggering performance in a 6-2 drubbing of the University of Bedfordshire.

Delighted

Rugby Union

Nottingham’s elite Men’s Rugby Union side were slightly less successful.

They were clearly still thinking of their shock ban from Varsity as a rampant Northumbria side strolled to a 29-0 victory. This was Notts’ second defeat in a row, following their opening day 44-13 loss to Durham.

It wasn’t a great week for the Women’s side, either. Their 72-0 defeat to Leeds Met leaves them rooted to the bottom of the table after one game.

The only way is up for Women’s Rugby

Hockey

It’s also been a tough start for the Men’s Hockey team. They have been unlucky to fall to two consecutive 3-2 defeats, first to Loughborough and then to Sheffield Hallam.

Loughborough do tend to win everything, though, so there was no shame for the Women’s team in losing 3-1 away to the BUCS favourites.

Lacrosse

There was more bad news as Notts’ Men’s Lacrosse team lost 30-0 to Durham, but the Women’s side secured a dramatic 12-11 win against Manchester.

#WinningWednesdays

Tennis

The Men’s Tennis team currently sit in second position in the Midlands 1A league following their 8-4 win against Warwick, while the game between UoN’s Women and Loughborough didn’t go ahead.

Clearly the early morning training paid off for the Men’s team

Best of the Rest

Elsewhere, the Men’s Badminton team stuffed Cambridge 7-1, Women’s Basketball were beaten 77-22 by Loughborough, Men’s Rugby League beat Coventry 20-16 and the Women’s Squash team came out 4-0 victors against Birmingham.

This all means that Nottingham currently sit 15th in the overall BUCS league, with Edinburgh the surprise leaders at this early stage.

Have you heard any BUCS news? Which results do you want to hear next week? Let us know in the comments section below or by emailing [email protected]