10 Things To Do This Week

There’s so much to do this week: the return of New Theatre, Goo Goo Dolls and the first weekend of Game City. Take your pick…

To Sir With Love @ Theatre Royal

Tuesday – Saturday, 7.30 pm, £14+

Based on E R Braithwaite’s autobiography, this play tells the story of a Cambridge graduate and ex-RAF pilot arriving in London in 1948 and discovering what it means to be black in post-war England.

Starring Matthew Kelly- he’s got stars in his eyes

Goo Goo Dolls @ Rock City

Tuesday, doors 7.30pm, £24

This band is over 20 years old and their songs are undoubtedly ingrained in your consciousness. Like this one…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYWuo9OFAw[/youtube]

Madina Lake @ Rescue Rooms

Wednesday, doors 6.30pm, £15

This is your last chance to see Madina Lake as they stop off in Nottingham on their farewell UK tour.

Graham Fitkin Band @ Lakeside Arts Centre

Wednesday, 8pm, £9 – £15

Returning to Lakeside after their barnstorming performance in 2010, the Fitkin all-star ensemble promise a night the likes of which you’ve never seen before. There’s a metric ton of influences at play here – from Brazilian music to medieval dance – and it couldn’t be more in the ‘why not give it a crack category.’ It’ll be a night the likes of which you won’t forget. Probably.

Charlie Peace: His Amazing Life and Astounding Legend @ Nottingham Playhouse

Fri 4th – Sat 19th Oct, 7:45pm £7.50 – £27.50.

He’s described as the greatest celebrity villain of the Victorian age, and here we were pointing fingers at Fagin. But there’s no arguing with a man who has his own play. A master of disguise and irresistibly attractive to women, he was kinda like the Johnny Depp of the 1800s. And there’s literally no better reason to see a play than that.

Criminal Johnny Depp of the 1880s?

Fresher’s Fringe @ Nottingham New Theatre

Thursday and Friday 7pm

The on-campus theatre is back with a bang with two nights of short plays and sketches showcasing the new talent.

All the fresh talent

Live at Lunch @ Nottingham Concert Hall

Friday, 1pm, Free

A free concert, what more could you ask for?! Get a bit of culture and head down to the Concert Hall in town for a performance of Mussorgsky’s Pictures At An Exhibition.

An Evening of Burlesque @ Nottingham Concert Hall

Friday, 8pm, £18+

Britain’s biggest and best burlesque show comes to the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall on Friday for an evening of spectacular cabaret.

The Lost City Adventure Golf @ The Cornerhouse

Check out Nottingham’s new indoor crazy golf at The Cornerhouse. Read The Tab’s review here.

Game City @ Market Square 

Sat 19th – Sat 26th Times vary, free.

The annual game show is back and bigger than ever, running for a fortnight instead of a week. It’s one of the biggest events of its ilk in the country and covers every facet of the game industry, from indie gaming to the blockbuster big boys. Expect demos, presentations, special guests (not Mario sorry, dude’s in rehab…massive shroom addiction) and more. Not to be missed.

Digital fireworks kick things off this Friday at 7:30pm in Old Market Square