How to: Make your clothes last AKA Laundry for Dummies

Check out The Tab’s list of five easy ways to ensure your clothes stay hard-wearing.

As you take to town with a bank balance helped along by Student Finance and the Bank of Mum and Dad, spare a thought for the maintenance of the clothes you’ll undoubtedly buy.

When a laundry mishap turns your overpriced sweater into something a little more suitable for a newborn, tears will certainly flow from your eyes. The Tab doesn’t want that, and as such we’ve compiled a list of five easy ways to ensure your clothes stay hard-wearing.

Low Heat and air dry – a match made in heaven:

Not only will you avoid the issue of undesired shrinkage, but your clothes will also maintain their colour when you wash at low heat. Furthermore, pop down to your local Argos and get yourself a drying rack – this will save you money, and again, defend against any shrinking potential posed by a tumble dryer.

Inside out is best:

Taking an extra minute out of your hectic student schedule to turn your clothes inside out before a wash is one of the best things you’ll ever do. This simple move will keep your jeans and jumpers staying in the colour you bought them in (for a degree longer than they would otherwise, that is).

Check twice to be sure:

Red socks have endured years of army type training and can slip into a white load with great ease. Check twice before you start your wash, or run the risk of acquiring some new (unwanted) pink additions to your wardrobe.

If there’s a zip, use it:

Be sure to fasten anything with a zip; It doesn’t require a great deal of effort, but will ensure your much-loved hoodie holds its shape. If that’s not enough to convince you, just think of the potential carnage a roaming zipper might cause catching on to your favourite piece of knitwear.

Listen to the clothing labels:

Leave the rebellion for club nights out; if the labelling in the jumper you paid way too much money for asks you to wash it at 30 degrees, then wash it at 30 degrees.