Pressure growing on SU to ban ‘Blurred Lines’

UoN Feminists Society start petition against Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’

Nottingham’s SU is facing increasing pressure to ban Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ from being played on campus.

The new UoN Feminists Society have started a petition against the song, saying that it promotes sexism and rape culture.

The SU has said that all music in University buildings is under the jurisdiction of URN, and it remains to be seen how the radio station will react to the petition, which has already gained over 50 signatures.

This follows the news that Edinburgh, Leeds, Exeter, Kingston, Derby and West Scotland Universities have all banned it from their respective Student Unions.

The petition states that Nottingham University should take a stance against the track, which includes the lyrics “I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two.”

Speaking to The Tab, the Feminists Society said: “We have discussed the banning of Blurred Lines in Nottingham University with URN and would support the SU in this decision.”

“We believe it would promote the notion that Nottingham does not condone sexism and rape culture.”

No more Robin Thicke?

The National Union of Students have also spoken out against the former chart-topper. Kelley Temple, the NUS National Women’s Officer, said: “We consider ‘Blurred Lines’ to be deeply offensive and dangerous.”

“The idea that consent is a ‘blurry’ concept is outrageous. It reinforces the shameful way sexual assault is often represented in the media and popular culture.”

What do you think? Should ‘Blurred Lines’ be banned from Uni? Let us know in the comments section below.