Gold Rush: Is Every Hole a Goal?

Felicity and Kirsten argue whether the casual sex race, known as Gold Rush, is really all it is cracked up to be.

Gold Rush: a unique mating ritual taking Nottingham by storm, where many final year boys and girls make it their mission to get down and dirty with as many people as possible before they graduate.

But is this craze such a good thing? Should students be worried about shagging around so much? Or should we all be jumping on the bangwagon?

Felicity and Kirsten share their thoughts:

The OFFICIAL definition from the Urban dictionary 

A Golden Opportunity

Gone are the days when sleeping with a different man or woman every week made you a slag. We are in the 21st Century now so it’s time to stop being a prude, leave your knickers at home and get your condoms at the ready.

Third year isn’t about dissertation, it’s about getting down and dirty with whatever saucy thing comes your way. It is time to finally make a move on that hottie on your course you have been dribbling over for the last three years.

Honestly, what is the worst that can happen? You will probably never see the majority of the notches on your bed post again after graduation so what have you got to lose?!

My mum always told me, if you don’t ask, you don’t get (I’m not sure she would be happy me applying that motto to casual sex, but what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her).

Everybody always says that students are in their golden years, and what better way to finish off 3 years of partying and working hard, with the infamous Gold Rush. Final year is the perfect time to let loose, release those inhibitions and fill your boots with as much bangin’ as you can.

Gold rush is a great way to practice those filthy moves in the bedroom, try some new positions or be crazy and see what works for you. That way when Mr or Miss Right comes into your life you won’t be a complete and utter failure in the sack.

Don’t be a fool, wrap your tool

Girlfriends and boyfriends are a bore. You have the rest of your life to try monogamy but you only have a few years before your tits are hanging around your belly button or your dick is permanently limp, so use your youth wisely!

This is the only time you can go on a sexual rampage and get away with it. Nobody wants to be labelled the office slut in their first proper job. Once we graduate we have to start growing up. All-nighters on Wednesdays will likely become a thing of the past so don’t waste this golden opportunity.

We are young, and dare I say it…YOLO!

It’s all Fools Gold

Any girl that says they haven’t checked out a guy walking ahead of them in a UoN Athletic Union hoodie is a liar. We do it. We all do it. And that feeling, where you get a little closer, trying to assess whether the faded white letters on the back read ‘Rugby’ or ‘Football’ only to realise you’re stood behind a 5”2 member of the fencing team, well, it’s a little disappointing.

And that is why I won’t be partaking in the Gold Rush.

Forget that I have a boyfriend. That’s irrelevant. We all know that if a better offer were placed on the table, we would at the very least consider it.

It is just that in my experience, these things are best left to the imagination.

The guy in your seminar IS hot. So is the guy that always passes you on the Hallward stairs. And bumping into the same guy on a fortnightly basis for two years? It certainly seems like fate has something frisky in store for you.

It is great to spend three years imagining the perfect scenario in which one of the above encounters you in Crisis, him looking delectable and you appearing as the definition of dignified and dreamy. He buys you a drink before whisking you away for a night of fun and games.

I have been there and, I have tried to bring the perfect scenario to life. The reality is the same disappointment as a 5”2 fencer wrapped up in that all too deceiving AU hoodie.

It is no more than thirty seconds of fun and games, if you can find the condom that has disappeared down the side of your bed. And, if you can get through it without either of you vomiting, passing out, or falling asleep.

Further still, your filthy fantasies did not consider a walk of shame down Derby Road in Jaeger stained clothes and bare feet.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a list. And if I thought for a second that my fantasies could be played out to perfection, I wouldn’t hesitate to participate in the oncoming sexual revolution.

The special few who made it to the list

It is just that I have spent the last two years fantasising about these moments and the last thing I want to discover, is that I’m left with nothing but a pot of fool’s gold. 

Who do you agree with? Are you a final year currently taking part in Gold Rush? Who has your downstairs parts all a-flutter?

Interested in writing for The Tab? Email [email protected]