Notts Clinch Ice Hockey Thriller

The Tab brings you a quick summary of what’s happened so far in Varsity 2013

Despite UoN’s defeat to Trent in Friday’s Rugby League match, the dramatic 4-3 victory in the Ice Hockey last night means that Notts have regained their lead in the 2013 Varsity series

It all began poorly for UoN as the Trent Renegades, NTU’s American Football side, carried on their excellent run of form and comfortably beat the Nottingham Outlaws 28-0 in front of almost 1000 spectators at the Harvey Hadden stadium.

Uni lost 28-0 in the American Football

However, the comeback began just a few days later as both the men’s and women’s Basketball sides triumphed at the Capital FM Arena. The women edged it over Trent with a 51-47 victory while the men’s contest was even more dramatic: cheered on by over 2000 students, UoN fought back from 53-47 down at the end of the third quarter to win 83-70.

Double victory in the Basketball

With a 2-1 lead going into Friday’s Rugby League encounter, the Notts 1st team were confident of extending the advantage, even though they had already been beaten twice by table-topping Trent this season. It was not to be, though. In another closely contested game, a late try from Trent’s Sam Campbell was enough to secure a 14-8 victory for NTU and tie the series at 2-2.

Varsity Ice Hockey is the most attended University Ice Hockey match outside of North America. 7000 fans were packed into the Capital FM Arena to see the Nottingham Mavericks win 4-3 to chants of “we pay your benefits” and “what’s that coming over the hill, it’s unemployment.”

Trent had battled back from 3-0 down, but in the end they couldn’t stop Luke Branin scoring a spectacular winner with only 1 minute and 22 seconds left on the clock.

The next Varsity event is the Hockey on the 15th March and, as ever, the Tab will be there to bring you all the latest news and smack-talk.