IMS round-up: how did your society fare?

Your society’s heroes have been battling it out all weekend: see how they got on…

It’s back, ladies and gentlemen. In the first round of fixtures at the infamous Grove Farm since 21 October 2012, IMS football returned with a bang.

As usual, it was not a place for the faint-hearted; balls were hoofed, the wind howled and tackles flew in. After a winter battering, the pitches were in a predictably poor condition and passing football was not on the menu.  Braving the cold, The Tab Sports Team™ got the reaction from some of the weekend’s key players…

EnglishSoc’s stylish playmaker and self-professed star of the team Josh Bednash was inconsolable following his side’s narrow 5-1 defeat to Neuroscience: “Neuroscience got inside our heads. After our intensive off-season fitness regimes we had high hopes going into this encounter. We thought it was to be, but it was not to be.”

We found FAGs (French and German Society) captain and ball-playing extraordinaire Hugo in a far more upbeat mood following his FAGs’ colossal 4-1 victory over BioSoc A: “Contrary to popular belief, FAGs are no pansies. We’re just a straight-up team, getting our balls on the deck, trying to play it around.”

Archaeology Soc dug deep against an ageing Post-Grad outfit, with Richard ‘Rodge’ Muncher scoring the decisive goal to give them all three points: “I hadn’t played in an eleven-a-side match until just before Christmas and this is only my second game. I’ve been known to be a bit of a fluke from time-to-time, but I never thought I’d score the winner against the team that put eight past us last year!”

James Coulter added: “He’s scored more than me now, but he hasn’t got a cannon like I have.”

Rain or shine, The Tab Sports Team™ will be the first to bring all the latest IMS news. If you have any stories or quotes from IMS you wish to share, email us at [email protected].

A list of all the weekend’s football results can be found below:

Saturday Div 1

History 5-1 Raleigh Park

LawSoc 0-4 Afro/Caribbean Soc

PhysicsSoc 1-2 Christian Union

PGSA 1-2 ChemEngSoc

Saturday Div 2

PharmSoc 1-2 PoliticsSoc

Architecture 5-0 MedicsSoc

PGSA B 1-3 Archaeology

ChemSoc 2-8 MathSoc A

Sunday Div 1

St Peter’s 2-1 CivSoc

LawSoc 2-2 CypriotSoc

MecSoc 3-2 GeogSoc

Sunday Div 2

HistorySoc 5-3 JewishSoc

FrenchGermanSoc 4-1 BioSoc A

Neuroscience 5-1 EnglishSoc