Christmas Celebrations in Notts

Christmas is upon us! Lights turned on by local hero.

It’s official: Christmas is upon us.

On Wednesday, Paralympic gold medallist and local boy Richard Whitehead turned on the lights and transformed the Old Market Square into a winter wonderland.

In a short speech, Whitehead thanked his home town. He said: “It is an honour to come back to Nottingham and give something back to those who have supported me, after all, this is where it all started.”

Thousands packed into the square to see the lights turn on and were treated to a surprise fireworks show from the top of the council building.

There was plenty of entertainment laid on, ranging from performances by the Nottingham Music School Concert Orchestra to an appearance from Christmas fairies and tap dancing Turkeys.

Decorations adorned the entire square with over 150 small Christmas trees to the one everyone looks forward to, the huge 60ft tree, beautifully decorated, taking its rightful place in front of the council house.

Plenty of food and drink stalls were on hand to cater to hungry Nottingham residents, with food ranging including roasted chestnuts and plenty of ales, hot chocolate and cider for thirsty Christmas market enthusiasts.

Amid all the Christmas trimmings in the square stands the North Star, a terrifying ride that promises to give you a fantastic view of Nottingham, if you don’t mind heights!

Catering to everyone, the Christmas market and lights brings a festive feel to Nottingham, year on year, and this time round is no exception.