Heston hears from UoN experts on “quirky” science

Some of you do it regularly, some of you hardly ever and some of you are completely against the idea.   For kitchen wizard, Heston Blumenthal, it is a topic […]

Some of you do it regularly, some of you hardly ever and some of you are completely against the idea.

For kitchen wizard, Heston Blumenthal, it is a topic of major concern, so much so that he is wanting to compose an academic paper on the subject; do biscuits taste better after dunking?

Heston’s current show, Heston’s Fantastical Food airs on Tuesdays at 9pm on Channel 4 and attracts around two million viewers. Tonight’s show will feature UoN as Heston’s helping hand on the subject of biscuit dunking.

TV’s most experimental chef has been troubled by the question since a small boy. Heston says, “If you have chocolate on one side, if it melts a bit, you get a velvety smooth texture and then the delicious flavour as a result.” But is the result scientifically better than leaving the biscuit in its prior dry and stoney state?

Naturally, Heston has joined forces with UoN’s food experts as this is, of course, an area of investigation that only a Russell Group University can handle.

Lab tests were hosted by Dr Ian Fisk, who specialises in food aroma and taste, with the investigation taking place in ‘specially equipped Flavour labs’. Dr Fisk said “Heston always makes the real science of food approachable. This is a good example, if a little quirky, of the science that exists behind normal food.”

Find out about the results and the full investigation on tonight’s episode of Heston’s Fantastical Food at 9pm on Channel 4.