Nottingham’s Amnesty Up In Arms

The week started early for Amnesty who popped down to their local just after lunch on Monday. The local arms trader that is. H&K, a.k.a Heckler and Koch, are one […]

Amnesty Arms Trade

The week started early for Amnesty who popped down to their local just after lunch on Monday. The local arms trader that is.

H&K, a.k.a Heckler and Koch, are one of the world’s biggest producers of arms and distributors from an unmarked warehouse right on our doorstep in Lenton.

Georgina Sutcliffe who is a committee member of Amnesty society at UoN expressed her concern about the lack of awareness regarding the hidden truths of the arms trade.

“You just don’t realise that it’s the well recognised and respected nations that support the arms trade the most, like the US.” When asked about the current legal regulations Georgina replied, “there is no treaty in place to limit arms trading, but then there are all sorts of restrictions and rules applied to food. It doesn’t make sense.”

Amnesty joined forces with campaign group ‘Shut Down HK’ on Monday by protesting at H&K’s offices at Easter Park on Lenton Lane. ‘Shut Down HK’ pickets at the gates on the second Monday of every month and are a consistent thorn in the side of the arms traders. They aim to raise awareness, investigate dealings and put a stop to distribution of arms within the UK.

Their main concern is that “H&K weapons have found their way into the hands of child soldiers, terrorists, armed gangs and militias, arms traffickers, mercenaries and organised criminals around the world”. 

Their website, shutdownhk.org.uk also states that “In Libya, forces loyal to 42-year dictator Muammar Gaddafi have been slaughtering civilian protesters in the streets. According to Jane’s Infantry Weapons, Libya’s armed forces are still equipped with Heckler & Koch G3 rifles.”

Alarming stuff!

How do you feel knowing that Nottingham is a churning out devastating weapons on a global scale?

Get in touch @thetabnotts

Find out more about what Amnesty get up to at their weekly meetings – Wednesdays at 1pm in A39 Clive Granger.